Official Peace Corps Disclaimer

"The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps."

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ramadan 6 – Full Moon - 2 more weeks

This week of no teaching is hard. I expect the afternoons to be hard. But when the mornings are hard, it’s particularly difficult. When I teach, I feel like I’m contributing. When I sit here at the school and just listen to the Arabic – it’s challenging.

By a crazy twist of fate, I am now the only person in my family who is fasting. The 4 nurses who were boarders here have gone back to their home village, my Ibu-Mama has stomach problems and didn’t fast from the beginning and now my host Dad is eating. After dinner, which I could only eat half of anyway, I showed them that I set my cell phone to go off at 3:15am and I will come quietly downstairs, turn on the light in the kitchen and finish the rest of the food. Please, please, I said in Indonesian, please sleep and be well. I can eat by myself. The food here doesn’t get refrigerated. It’s just put under mesh covers to keep the flies off. If I don’t eat something at one meal, it’s all there ready for the next one, anyway. We’ll see how this works out.

So far the hardest time was the day there was a discussion in the teacher room about going to hell and burning in fire. I have been reading The Noble Qur’an and this is the fate for “unbelievers.” (Jews, Christians and Pagans)

I try to think about it as a chance to practice tolerance at an ever deepening level.

I don’t have anything more to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment