Official Peace Corps Disclaimer

"The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps."

Monday, August 29, 2011

Ramadan - 2 1/2 hours left

It's 3:00 pm on Monday 29 August. In 2 and a half hours I will be finished with fasting FOREVER. Ramadan ends, Idul Fitri begins and next year I will be in America. I should add "God willing."

I'm glad I did it these past 2 years and I feel that's enough. I have had my chance to bear hunger and thirst and crabbiness. It's not really an easy thing to do. I'm a lot more appreciative of the Islam religion after doing this. It takes some effort.

This year was a little harder due to diarrhea and vomiting so I stopped fasting for two days and just concentrated on eating crackers and drinking oral rehydration salts during the day. Then my body was a little reluctant to go back to the fasting routine for another 2 weeks.

I am glad it's almost finished. I notice that I have looked at the clock 3 times in the past 5 minutes. Afternoons are always my hardest. I feel a little fuzzy headed and I think it's mild dehydration - even though I drink almost 2 liters of water every night.

I have tried extra hard this year to participate in the kindness aspect of Ramadan... to not be angry, to not be frustrated, to not say anything bad about anyone. For me it was a lesson in awareness. (Example: Oh yes, I am starting to feel upset. Okay Colleen, just let it go...breathe in, breathe out.... Maybe they are behaving in a way that is totally appropriate. And when I looked at the situation a moment later, sure enough my perception of it had changed.) This is a useful skill for me to develop!

Okay - only 2 hours and 15 minutes left. I've got my water bottle on my desk. I think I'll distract myself with something else besides blogging.

Thanks for reading.
Oma Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment